Saturday, June 18, 2011



The first thing I did in the space was hang up the two canvases, 46 x 54 inches, along two walls that met at a corner so that I could work one and have the other over my right or left shoulder. I also pinned up some drawing paper 18 x 24 inches next both. Then I began drawing on the paper.
after a while I moved on to the canvases, and the back to the paper. Then the paint in the same way. I find that the paper and working those problems slowed down the editing and changing process just enough that I didn't destroy things so fast.

I think that at any point in a period of time the expression, and processing of thoughts are consistent and it doesn't matter how many things you work on at a time during that period, the ideas will be consistent with the ideas at that point in time. When only one thing is being worked, and time passes, at the end of that time the work will have evolved somewhat and the next piece will only be expressed in the language and terms of the new position.

The first two paintings were all over the place in respect to knowing where I was going, or what I was looking for. Some things stay with you for a long time, one of those things was that when I found myself lecturing about Hoffman's work, I began to learn more about Hoffman than I had ever known. The insight from that experience influenced the first two paintings. I wanted to push and pull the space, keeping the surface, 2D strength in a strong dynamic battle with the information relative to the 3D illusion. In the process, things would constantly spin out of control, there were not enough lighter colors, or there was to much arbitrary drawing, or perhaps the worst of all, I was repeating myself and becoming predictable.

This may sound odd, but I am basically lazy, and when I get into a jam, I will look for an easy way out. The thing is that the easy way is often the cheap trick and as soon as it is placed on the canvas I know I can't live with it. So, staying away from cheap tricks and insincere imagery. The trick seems to be to discover what lies beyond the cheap tricks and easy answers. I spend a lot of time painting out large portions of what I call clutter.




No comments:

Post a Comment